Archive for July, 2012
Volunteer in Singapore with Volunteering Solutions
There are a variety of opportunities available to volunteers who would like to provide their services in Asia. Volunteering Solutions recently added Singapore as new volunteer program destination in Asia. There are many different reasons why volunteers want to help abroad today. Some people simply provide their assistance abroad in order to get a productive vacation in. If this is the type of work you are interested in, you should certainly do your best to select your program carefully. Singapore has many environmental issues, most of which stem from lack of natural water resources, and extensive pollution. At Volunteering Solutions we offer our volunteers opportunities to make contributions to address these problems along with our local partner organizations in Singapore.
Many charities and NGOs work day in day out to fight issues such as poverty, disease and illiteracy and many of them rely on the support of international volunteers.
While your efforts alone aren’t going to change the world but they can certainly make a tangible difference, making volunteer work abroad an incredibly rewarding experience.
Volunteering Solutions provides special discount for families working together. Many families choose to volunteer while going abroad as a part of the vacations around the world. By including volunteer work in your vacation, you can be productive as you witness new cultures and learn about new ideas and people. Another benefit of volunteering as a family is the fact that minors can volunteer in new and diverse countries when they are accompanied by an adult. By bringing your children along for the adventure of volunteering in countries that desperately need your help, you can build the character of your children while also helping them obtain the experience and skills they will need to become successful later in life.
Though physically small, Singapore is an economic giant. It has been Southeast Asia’s most modern city for over a century. The city blends Malay, Chinese, Arab, Indian and English cultures and religions. The most exciting aspect of volunteer work abroad in Singapore is the opportunity to travel the famous country and immerse yourself in unfamiliar and exotic cultures. Volunteering Solutions places you at the heart of communities, giving you the chance to live and work alongside local residents and learn their customs and culture.
Volunteering Solutions provides opportunity in 2 different volunteering program options in Singapore, namely: -
1. Volunteer at an Animal Rescue Center
2. Volunteer with Disabled People
Volunteer at an Animal Rescue Center: – This project involves working with the largest wild animal center in Singapore. Volunteers work 5 days per week for around 8 hours per day. The center is short of manpower and is in regular need of volunteers to provide assistance. Volunteers help in following activities: -
I. Foster respect and compassion for all animals.
II. Improve the living conditions and welfare of animals in captivity.
III. Educate people on lifestyle choices which do not involve the abuse of animals and which are environment-friendly.
Volunteer with Disabled People: – Volunteers will work in Cheshire Home which was founded in 1957. The Home aims to provide a “home” in the truest practicable sense for the care, rehabilitation, encouragement, stimulation and happiness of its residents and clients, all of whom are seriously disabled adults of both sexes and various races and creeds, and to give them the chance to live as normal lives as possible. Volunteers will work from 10am to 4.30pm from Monday to Friday. You will be supervised by the volunteer coordinator in the Home.
Volunteering Solutions & Volunteers in Costa Rica
Every year, Costa Rica is visited by a number of tourists. Along with eco-tourism, the place is loved by all for its beautiful beaches, forests and wildlife. As compared to other parts of the world, the place has more than a quarter of land meant for protected reserves.
Throughout the Costa Rica, one will find several forest reserves and national parks. This is the reason why wildlife projects have become one of the choices for volunteers in Costa Rica. Let’s know more about the volunteer programs for Costa Rica through this article.
Four major choices are as follows:
In the childcare program, the individuals are required to work in the orphanages, child care centers, day care centers and community child care centers.
The increase in poverty and homelessness is because of the regular migration of people from poor countries nearby. And the individuals select the child care centers as well as orphanages to protect and support the homeless children.
Another program is turtle conservation program in which the individuals work to save turtles nests from poachers in the place. Costa Rica volunteering service providers come with this program to protect turtle population from getting endangered. The work generally involves working with the staff to harvest eggs, counting turtles, night patrolling and keeping eggs away from the reach of predators. From orientation to food, lodging, in-country travel assistance, in-country support and many other kinds of support is provided by the service providers.
Teaching English language to primary as well as middle school students is the work which volunteers do. About the program, the workers assist the local teachers; conduct own lessons and teaches the kids in the interesting methods to make the learning simple and interesting. Generally, the workers teach or work for 5 days every week for 5-6 hours daily.
Costa Rica is known for the variety of animals and plants. In total of 0.25% of the world’s landmass, the place is known to have 5% of world’s biodiversity. Around 800 and 200 species of birds and mammals respectively are found in this place. And volunteers in Costa Rica work for the victims of repossession, accidents and loss of habitats of animals. Along with hard working skills and enthusiasm, the individuals for the wildlife programs are required to be ecologically sensitive
Thus, with the diverse volunteer programs for Costa Rica, individuals can promote hospitality, warmth and peacefulness in this place.
Eleven Volunteer Opportunities
1. Teaching – Teachers are needed for reading, math, arts and crafts, sports, IT, counseling, drama, and several other areas.
2. Work at an Orphanage – Volunteer at an orphanage and use your talents and skills. Share the gift of love and show these children that you care
3. Building Maintenance – Working as a building maintenance volunteer involves some carpentry, painting, plumbing, or other general construction work. Many schools and other buildings located in some of the poorest neighborhoods have leaking roof and bathrooms, or they may need desks or chairs repaired. Peeling walls also need painting.
4. Volunteering with Disabled Children – Schools and homes provide services for the blind, the deaf, and those with physical challenges. They need help learning new skills and techniques used by the developed world. Play with them, do drama or craft-making, or just engage them in sports.
Health Care Volunteer – Opportunities are available in hospitals, cancer hospices, and centers for HIV/AIDS. Many sick or terminally ill persons need help with feeding or just someone to talk to. Just reading to them or holding their hands and showing them that you care is sometimes all that is needed.
6. Career Guidance Volunteer – If you are an entrepreneur or have professional skills, there are many opportunities available to attend a school and hold a discussion on options in your area for career choices. Many students need help in making career choices, especially for non-traditional careers.
7. Coaching – Children who live in children’s homes or poor communities are rich in talent but lack the coaching to develop their skills. Be a coach and give them the feeling of being a winner.
8. Volunteer and Give Children a “Treat” – Many poor children and those living in children’s homes have never been to the theater or had a formal dinner in a restaurant. Take a group to the theater to see a local play or go to a nice restaurant.
9. Collect and Distribute Gifts – Collect gifts of clothes, books, and school supplies in your community and bring them to schools or children’s homes here in Jamaica.
10. Volunteer by Holding Workshops – If you are a professional or have a skill, do workshops and pass on your knowledge to others. Many teachers in secondary education and trade training schools can benefit from your knowledge of the latest technological development in their area.
11. Help Develop a Computer Department – Many schools in Jamaica need to set up an Internet department or need computer support. If you have expertise in setting up a database or know about software development, there are numerous areas to serve.