Eleven Volunteer Opportunities
1. Teaching – Teachers are needed for reading, math, arts and crafts, sports, IT, counseling, drama, and several other areas.
2. Work at an Orphanage – Volunteer at an orphanage and use your talents and skills. Share the gift of love and show these children that you care
3. Building Maintenance – Working as a building maintenance volunteer involves some carpentry, painting, plumbing, or other general construction work. Many schools and other buildings located in some of the poorest neighborhoods have leaking roof and bathrooms, or they may need desks or chairs repaired. Peeling walls also need painting.
4. Volunteering with Disabled Children – Schools and homes provide services for the blind, the deaf, and those with physical challenges. They need help learning new skills and techniques used by the developed world. Play with them, do drama or craft-making, or just engage them in sports.
Health Care Volunteer – Opportunities are available in hospitals, cancer hospices, and centers for HIV/AIDS. Many sick or terminally ill persons need help with feeding or just someone to talk to. Just reading to them or holding their hands and showing them that you care is sometimes all that is needed.
6. Career Guidance Volunteer – If you are an entrepreneur or have professional skills, there are many opportunities available to attend a school and hold a discussion on options in your area for career choices. Many students need help in making career choices, especially for non-traditional careers.
7. Coaching – Children who live in children’s homes or poor communities are rich in talent but lack the coaching to develop their skills. Be a coach and give them the feeling of being a winner.
8. Volunteer and Give Children a “Treat” – Many poor children and those living in children’s homes have never been to the theater or had a formal dinner in a restaurant. Take a group to the theater to see a local play or go to a nice restaurant.
9. Collect and Distribute Gifts – Collect gifts of clothes, books, and school supplies in your community and bring them to schools or children’s homes here in Jamaica.
10. Volunteer by Holding Workshops – If you are a professional or have a skill, do workshops and pass on your knowledge to others. Many teachers in secondary education and trade training schools can benefit from your knowledge of the latest technological development in their area.
11. Help Develop a Computer Department – Many schools in Jamaica need to set up an Internet department or need computer support. If you have expertise in setting up a database or know about software development, there are numerous areas to serve.Tags: Eleven, opportunities, Volunteer